Friday, June 6, 2008

Pom Poms and Circumstances...

It can't be...say it isn't so...as I sat and observed Ashland H.S.'s graduation tonight, I realized it has been 16 years since I sat in my purple cap and gown with my gold Cheerleader sash around my neck. I sat in my chair all those years ago feeling very nostalgic about my life thus far and awestruck about what the next few months and years had in store. It's a strange feeling to hear my high school students lament about leaving each other for colleges near and far and the epic changes that are on their horizon. Every encouragement I assemble in my brain seems so cliche: You'll stay in touch, you can visit each other, you'll make lots of new friends...the list goes on and on. There is another list in my brain, the wisdom I've gained from life experience. The truth about what really does happen when you graduate high school and move on with life. This is what I realized tonight. Some things need to be experienced for themselves. These students need to walk this road of discovery, timidness, courage and faith. The beauty of growing up is the journey. Who am I to want to warn them or be a dose of reality for them? Looking back I am satisfied with the path God had me on and the transformation of the old and new relationships in my life.
So to my girls who have graduated tonight. Enjoy this moment, minus the cliche. It is a special and unique moment in your life...as is the 4+ years of transition before you. Accept the awkward wierd moments, confusing times and thrilling firsts. Embrace the changes God is preparing you for and hold on to your hats...it'll be more fun than Invertigo at Great America...ahhh...sweet amusement park trip memories these past 3 years...

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Oh, I can remember it so well too! Can you believe it's been 16 years! We are getting sooo old. I went to eat at a restaurant tonight with my man and the server was this girl who goes to my church. I remember being at church camp in HS and she was at the camp with her parents...she was ONE YEAR OLD! Where has the time gone!