Wednesday, June 11, 2008

HEADS...


Okay...you know when you're at a baseball game and you hear "HEADS!" it usually means a ball has been hit foul and could be coming your way...so duck and cover. I have been to at least 5 baseball games per week since March...and loving every minute of it...and never has a ball come close to hitting me or my sweet Chase, who has gone to almost all of those to support her bro and sis. By support I mean eat all the food I bring her and play with about 15 various kiddos she knows who are also hanging at the fields to "support" their older sibs. She is a champ through and through...rarely complains, unless she's freezing...which she rarely is because she wears flip flops and tank tops all year round (it's a battle I choose not to fight). I digress...so tonight we decide to go to the fields as a family to watch a Majors game which some of our pals are playing in. Chase is standing on the bleachers next to me and Josh and Say. We hear "HEADS" from the neighboring field and what do we do...Josh and I duck and cover...Duh! We forgot one minor detail...we're the parents and our first thought should've been to cover our young. So guess what happens. One in a million will that "HEADS" be intended for you, or your wee 5 year old. The ball came out of nowhere, strongly grazed Chase's forehead and nailed me in the calf/knee. She started wailing and pitifully said, "WHAT was that?" I walked her away from the action, cuddled her in the shade and 2 doctors who witnessed the lack of parenting came to advise us on what to watch for. She was good after 15 minutes of snuggles, some ice and a little "attention" from everyone...especially our friend Jake who was catching and checked in on her in mid game. Gotta love the love at the fields...and stinky parenting. Enjoy the aftermath pic!

2 comments:

One- said...

POOR BABY! I ALMOST GOT HIT YESTERDAY, BUT THE GIRL NEXT TO ME SAVED MY LIFE. THE FIELDS CAN BE A VERY DANGEROUS PLACE. HOPE SHE IS DOING OK. THE COMMENT ABOUT THE SIX KIDS REALLY SCARED ME THERE FOR A MINUTE!

Shannon said...

oh, poor chasey! that's it I'm callin' chidren's protective services!