Sunday, June 29, 2008

Earth Friend Jen...

So I live in this town where crazy things can happen. It's a liberal, out there spiritual, theater and tourist mecca. People come from all over to experience the above mentioned topics. My story needs a bit of back tracking. Our high school has a tradition that the seniors paint a mural on a big wall/roof part of the quad for all to see for the next year. This year a handful of students painted the pic of Michealangelo's "Creation of David". This is a Harry Potter generation so they used their creative freedoms to alter the painting accordingly...see link...http://www.dailytidings.com/2008/0512/stories/0512_valley_potter.php. It made huge Ashland news, and beyond...I'm getting to that... because our principal, who is a close family friend from church, felt the nudity was inappropriate and against school policy. It caused an uproar in town...you can trace that link back to previous articles and read the insanity of some of the Ashland community. Anyway, in the end the snitch on the private parts was amended and I was happier. So this news apparently reached beyond Ashland and inspired a crazy naked lady to take up residence in Ashland. She loved the controversy and thought that this sounded like a place for her to come live. She rides around town naked on her bike because, surprise, Ashland has a nudity clause that allows such things. That's her thing...not sure if she has any other purpose on earth than that. I have yet to see her but I hear it's not that great of a view. http://current.com/items/89032285_jen_moss_oregon_lady_to_go_naked_to_the_fourth_of_july_paradeI won't get started on the sanitary aspect or the sunburn issue. Anyway, our 4th of July parade is both awesome and appalling at times. Thousands of people come from near and far and pack our tiny little town and main downtown drag. Our favorite annual entry is the one where the people carry signs that say we are overpopulating the world and yell at me that I have too many children. It's a total family parade...go Ashland! So "Earth Friend Jen" as she's labeled herself turned in an entry application. I was p.o.ed and contemplating a parade alternative with other families for that day. I'm proud to say, and frankly surprised, that the fine community of Ashland finally agreed with me and denied her entry. I was considering a full on morality attack against the city but they came through for me and maintained that the parade is a family event and "Jen" is not being appropriate. She'll inevitably still ride her bike around that day, probably be arrested and HOPEFULLY, find a new community to shock and annoy. This is the beautiful town I live in!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

ok Jen, please don't move to where I live! That's GROSS! Seriously, you should start a petition to end that little town thingy that allows her to do that!

Shannon said...

oh, and....interesting school mural! the reinstated version was "much" better!

One- said...

Thanks for all the comments recently. What's up with the naked girl? Those small, quirky towns...hmmm....I thought Vegas was bad! Ha Ha!