Saturday, June 28, 2008

If It's Your Will Lord...

I prayed this prayer today, a quiet whisper while I was standing at the chain link fence with my arms grasping the wires over my head, forehead pressing against the fence...asking God to be with Jett in this moment. Trying my hardest not to pray a prayer of, "Oh please God, let us win" but a prayer of "Let your will be done". I'm a baseball fan to my core but I'm an even bigger fan of my sweet boy...despite his extremely emotional tendencies on the playing field. The scene today was this: we were in a double elimination All-star tournament game, with one loss under our belt so this game was do or die. The incredible two out rally we were on brought the score to 11-13, two outs, bottom of the final inning and of course, my kid is up to bat. As I stood there without other parents right next to me, I prayed for my boy and the potential for this moment to be one of those defining character moments in life. I could imagine the best case scenario and the not so good one. Over and over I prayed that God's will would be done in that moment, that Jett would have self-control and confidence and fun and and and... I even prayed a little bit that maybe, just maybe, God could give him a little gift in that moment of a base hit which would tie the game. Most importantly, my prayer would be that God's will would be done in that moment for who He is forming Jett to be. He is our little ball of clay and our heavenly potter has my full support in molding him as He sees fit. That is a hard prayer. Again, my core is saying, "WINWINWIN...Jett, do something amazing". However, my heart wants my little man to be even more amazing than that potential base hit would be in that one tiny moment in his life. God chose character development today. With a fly ball towards second base...game over. A very sad and tearful Jett ran off the field reeling with many emotions. I'm grateful that God cares more about Jett than I do about that baseball game. I'm thankful for unanswered prayers and that His will is supreme. Ugh...I wish we would've won though and not come home so early in the tourney...there's always next year...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your little man rocks my world!

Shannon said...

oh....I so remember those moments...from Jett's perspective. How surreal to be on the other end as a parent.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.