Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Hamster in Distress...oh yes (Murder at 02:30...)

So to our startledness, at 2:33 am this morning we hear a panicked, scared and distressed cry with Sailor's voice all over it. The words that sprung us to our feet and caused us to dash at light speed to her room, "My hamster is out...my hamster is out of the cage and the kitties are trying to get him!!!" Oh my, this was bad. Some back story: we've recently installed a cat door to make our lives easier and odor free of a cat box that we adopted with our new kittens last fall. IT has been lovely for trips and cleaning purposes. HOWEVER, other cat friends around the neighborhood discovered it too and like to come in and have cat parties in our house while we're sleeping...this is reminiscent of my high school days when "friends" would sneak into my room via my window or the outside bathroom door that was next to my room. What I didn't know back then was I wasn't fooling anyone, my parent's room was above mine and they always heard what was going on...I digress...so the same scenario is true of the midnight cat parties. We can hear them and often Sailor will come into our room in the middle of the night and say, "Daddy, Snowy is in my room standing on Half Pint's table (the blueberry dwarf hamster she got last month for her birthday and loves with all of her heart). Josh gets up like a devoted dad, shoos the dumb cat out, hides our kitties food so not to entice more "friends" coming in and we try to get some sleep....Well...last night was a different story...Back to the scream of terror...we bound out of our beds, flip on a couple of lights, see Sailor frozen in panic mode on her bed and I go into super mom mode. I direct Josh to close off the entrances to the house (CAT DOOR) in case one of our 3 black kitties has gotten Half Pint and is making a run for it. Chase and Jett have entered the scene now and Chase is on a mission to find the hamster. Jett is dazed in the doorway doing nothing. Immediately, THANK JESUS CHRIST, Chase spots the furball and tries to grab him but needs dad's help...He was running like a free man, jumping rope over the lamp cord and possibly oblivious to the fact that there were 3 killers on his tail (literally). Josh put him back in his condo (not sure why he wanted to escape), we closed the door Sailor had left open and went into consoling mode. Sailor was crying with relief and Chase was choked up and shaking from her adreneline rush. Chase tried to console Sailor with a broken, shaky and thankful voice, "We got him Sailor, we got him, he's okay Sailor, he's okay..." followed by Sailor, "Get away Chase, be quiet!" Aww..this was a beautiful family moment. We all went back to bed approximately 15 mintues after the first yelp and Sailor, Josh and I began to lay there wide eyed for 2 1/2 hours...we played a little bed swapping leaving Sailor in our bed and Dad on hamster patrol in Say's bed. The cats were still wiley with the smell of the kill still swirling their nostrils...

I'm so grateful, which I openly praised God at 2:45 am, that Sailor heard a funny noise, saw something scattering across her floor and put the pieces that the big black things following it was a problem. All is well and I'm hoping our stinker cats will get over our new family member and let him be...but after last night they may be plotting as we speak.

2 comments:

S Fish said...

Never a dull moment at the Hamik household! Sheesh! Thank you, Jesus, that the hamster was saved! Good job, Chase!

Shannon said...

oh my goodness, I bet it was even more crazy than it sounds. Anything is crazy at that time of morning when you are woken up with a SCREAM!
Glad the hamster is ok!