Sunday, September 28, 2008

Fireproof...is on FIRE!!!


Many of you have heard of this movie, if you haven't, I'm here to letcha know. Check out the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5lSu6GkC2k.


Josh and I had a date night and were beyond blessed for choosing this movie as our entertainment. Entertaining isn't the word I would use today, however. More than I enjoyed spending 2 hours with Kirk Cameron, aka Mike Seaver, I was incredibly grateful that this movie hit me right where God intended. Marriage is hard work, the hardest thing I've ever done. After almost 13 years I can say parts get easier but new things arise and perpetually challenge me. I related to both sides of the coin in this movie. I've been the husband before: prideful and angry and only serving me me me. I've been the wife before: bitter, keeping score and disrespectful. The courage between these characters to swallow that big difficult pill and lower their pride walls in order to repair something worth mending was encouraging, motivating and an important reminder that without God, nothing is possible. Remember that line from Facing the Giants, "Without God, nothing is possible but with God, all things are possible." Phillipians 4:13.


If I've learned anything in my 13 years as a wife it is this, I can't give my husband something if I don't have it first. I've had Christ in my heart for a long time but if I can't embrace His example in my heart then I'll never be able to project His love onto my husband. One of my favorite lines in the movie is this, "Fireproof does not mean that a fire will never come, but that when it does come, we will be able to withstand it." I love this reminder that God doesn't promise us an easy, trouble-free life once we're saved but He does promise to walk us through the fires He's allowed to come our way. We won't be burned with God beside us but we are to expect the fires and be prepared with our fireproof robe around us of Jesus Christ.


One more favorite part of this movie was a song that I'm determined to find as I write this. Okay, found it. It's by John Waller and here are some of the lyrics:


I'm waiting - I’m waiting on You, Lord - And I am hopeful - I’m waiting on You, Lord - Though it is painful - But patiently, I will wait - I will move ahead, bold and confident - Taking every step in obedience - While I’m waiting - I will serve You - While I’m waiting - I will worship - While I’m waiting - I will not faint - I’ll be running the race - Even while I wait - I’m waiting - I’m waiting on You, Lord - And I am peaceful - I’m waiting on You, Lord - Though it’s not easy, no - But faithfully, I will wait - Yes, I will wait!


My encouragement for today for me and you...wait...wait on the Lord when life is challenging. We are so tempted to try and figure things out ourselves, on our time clock, in ways that seem to make sense to us in that moment, that emotional, unrealistic, biased and confused moment...Wait...wait for your Friend, your Creator, your Savior to come along, wrap himself around you and make you fireproof. Don't take one more step into the fire without Him by your side protecting you, guiding you and loving you through it...WAIT!



Grab some friends and go to the movies...it'll be worth it...I promise...then comment and tell me about it! :)

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I can't wait to go see this movie! I've been looking forward to it for months!

~A.Sha said...

OH, this was a beautiful post! I am so encouraged by your deep love for our God and your devotion in your marriage!
13 more years to come!

Anonymous said...

I just got back from watching Fireproof... it was great to see such a different-flavored movie on the regular, big screen