Wednesday, September 3, 2008

First Day Blues...And Cheers...Kindergarten, 2nd and 5th Grade!!!





As most moms probably agree...the first day of school brings many emotions. Summers are full of fullness. Lots of playdates, living in bathing suits, barbeque dinners and free time to do whatever we please...morning to night. I will miss this routine. On the flip side, it's challenging to keep up with the demands of my job at my desk, which is located in my kitchen, with anywhere from 3-6 kids are running around, asking for snacks, asking to hook the sprinkler up under the trampoline, hollering for pool towels, smoothies, snowcones, popsicles, sun block, backyard picnics, slip n slide...the list is endless...ending ultimately in a less than satisfactory effort at accomplishing anything work related. The "neighborhood" is fed, cool and happy but my sweet husband is missing 3 months worth of financials, payroll done in the nick of time and tardy email replies. Things I'm looking forward to now that I've sent off my 3 precious students into the Ashland school system...ROUTINE ROUTINE ROUTINE!!! This morning, still needing to cry a bit, I came home after the big 1st day drop off, grabbed my Bible and journal and sat in a cozy lawn recliner in the backyard in the warmth of the morning...sniffling, reading, praying, singing in my heart my new favorite cd, The Psalms Project and finally, journaling all my feelings, hopes for this school year, desperate requests and praises for whatever exciting and challenging situations God has in store for me. I hope this morning routine continues for me as my new fall schedule begins to evolve with more devoted work time, my classroom helper assignments, workouts, coffee dates with my chickies and the start of a much needed Bible study with my lovely, Sheryl. We will be doing, "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World." I'm sure there will be many blogs to come regarding what God is showing me through this study. For now fellow moms, enjoy your new found freedom since there's not much we can do about it anyway. (I found a 6 am workout, push ups and lunges throughout the day help rid me of extra sadness!!) Be thankful for more "me" time and find a way to add some more "you" time for others around.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

That was really sweet. Emily started 4th grade today and Colt starts Kindergarten tomorrow. I'm looking forward to a normal routine as well. I wish we could have coffee together!!

I look forward to your blogs about your bible study.

oh, and did you switch to public school?