Thursday, August 7, 2008

Gloaming...it's a magical time...

I receive a little mini-magazine from Focus on the Family each month and this month there was an article I could've written myself. I thought I'd share it from my perspective:

The word is gloaming, which means "the time of day immediately following sunset, just before nightfall". It's a word not used often any more in our modern times but it can be found frequently in old written works and antiqued conversations. It is a special time of the day for me. I've said it many times how much I love bedtime with my children. Not because I have tons of energy as the sun goes down or I like reading endless books with them...but because something magical happens as the earth begins to cool, the critters hunker in for the night and the world slows down. My children open up like crocuses in the spring...daring me to look deep inside at all that detail and mystery within. Josh and I make our rounds into each child's room individually...he has a whole routine that involves some sort of tickle monster, stuffed animals that come to life and a weird voice that serves some purpose I have yet to discover. Josh's routine takes a half hour total...I'm lucky if I finish one babe in that time. My routine is different. I snuggle up to each one...sometimes I ask a few questions and sometimes they just explode with lamentations and successes they've experienced in the day. They go on and on and only stop because I need to move on to the next lil' one or find my husband for some always welcome alone time. Like most, I'm tired at the end of the day and want some "me" time but man, I just can't get myself to cut them off, miss the opportunity to know their hearts and build a foundation of trust, compassion and admiration between each of us that hopefully takes us into their adult lives. Our staple subjects for bedtime prayers are: thanking God for the beautiful day, friends in our day, future spouses, our big God, ailments, upcoming plans and for Sailor right now, the perfect dwarf hamster to be born and waiting for her at the pet store for her birthday in a month!
I'm grateful for the gloaming time of day...I'm amazed God has taken some of my selfish habits and allowed me to be a giver of my time during the gloaming...I encourage you all to make the most of that magical gloaming time of day with your precious little gifts.

3 comments:

Tiffany Ryan said...

I love the gloaming too! You're so right about the importance of taking advantage of our children's openess at this time of the day. At times I want to hurry to finish cleaning the kitchen or watch "the Bachelor"..... thanks for reminding me to relish in the moment! Soon they won't want their Mommys and Daddys to come for tuck ins each night!

Becky.Keith said...

Hey Al,
I Love the way you write with such passion about your life, family and the Lord. I also Love that gloaming time of the day with my family. It is such a "magical" time. The time spent with your "lil ones" is SO special and a time I still enjoy to this day with my "not so lil ones". Take advantage and build that trust and openness that can last a lifetime. You are a wonderful mother and an amazing women of God that I am proud to call my friend. I Love you!!!

One- said...

My kids are very sweet during this time. They usually pick this time to tell me something thats on their minds. Sometimes I think that it's because they want to stay up longer, but I think they just don't want to go to bed with something on their minds that may be bothering them.