Sunday, August 9, 2009

Cascade Lakes Relay 2009

It's been 4 months since I hesitantly pushed SEND on an email to Chase's kindergarten teacher accepting an invitation to be a part of a 12 person team running a 216 mile relay, the longest in the USA, through the woods, dessert and boonies in the heat of the summer. Well, here are the pics to prove my craziness. I DID IT AND LIVED TO TELL ABOUT IT!!! This was one of the most fun experiences of my life. My sis did it with me which made it super special. We had a paramedics scare with one of our teammates and I had my own small disaster. Picture a pitch black 2 lane narrow highway at 1:30 in the morning...me with a headlamp and reflector vest on and a certain pothole ready to gobble up my foot. I was one mile into my 2nd leg of the race, 5.5 miles in the wee hours of the morning. My headlamp wasn't quite doing its job, I was listening to my worship music softly trying to distract myself from the russling going on in the forest next to me when SMACK...I crashed to my knees and apparently, by the blood, to my forearms, hands and fingers. Confused and searching for my water bottle I flung into the bushes, I got up and figured all I could do was finish my 4.5 miles since there was no one around me and I didn't want to get eaten sitting on the side of the road. God bless my teammates because a few moments later they came upon me and asked if I was okay. They gave me some antiseptic wipes, sent me on my way and thankfully followed behind me with bright headlights the rest of my leg. The scrapes and scabs are slowly starting to disappear...what a memory. I'd do it all again to have the memories, bonding and accomplishment I feel after doing this. GO TEAM TWISTED BLISTER!!!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

you are amazing! way to go Al!