Monday, February 2, 2009

Speaking sweeter...

We're hosting a small group from church in our home for the next few weeks based on a study called "Live like you were dying". The theme song is THE song...focusing on the chorus to... Love Deeper, Speak Sweeter and Give Forgiveness I have been denying...

This week I studied how to Speak Sweeter. I'm reminded that God's most important commandments are to Love God and Love Others. When those two things are done, all else is good. Bad things can happen in our lives but when we, as people, are loved...all else is good. I was also reminded that yesterday is gone. We can never get back tomorrow or the missed opportunities we had to encourage someone or positively change someone's day because we cared enough to smile, acknowledge or dig a little deeper. Just as yesterday is gone, tomorrow isn't a guarantee. We only have today. We only have this moment to speak sweet words to those around us.

Why is it so much easier to speak sweetly to those people not in our closest circle? Why do we feel compelled or more compassionate for those not in our closest circle? I feel motivated to continue my mission to positively change, even if slightly, every person's heart who crosses my path in a day. Beyond that and most importantly, I feel compelled to humble myself and speak encouraging, kind, gentle and sweet words to those under my own roof...regardless of how I'm being treated, I will allow the supernatural power of Christ to sweetly work in me so I can sweetly speak to others. Only when I fall to my knees and ask God to empty me of me and fill me with all of Him, will I be able to sincerely and passionately love on others.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

that is such a struggle for me! thank you for the reminder.

it's so true that we often speak more sweetly to those we don't know.
I totally remember when I was a kid and my mom might be upset, but then the phone would ring and she would answer it so sweetly. I'm guilty of this myself now that I'm a mom.
I need to do better at speaking more sweetly to my kiddos